Bake up some holiday memories…with your kids!
There are many traditions during the holidays but few are as rewarding as baking cookies with kids. Teaching kids how to bake is a great way to connect with them; it also creates the perfect opportunity to pass on family-favorite recipes to the next generation.SEE THE RECIPE
There are many traditions during the holidays but few are as rewarding as baking cookies with kids. Teaching kids how to bake is a great way to connect with them; it also creates the perfect opportunity to pass on family-favorite recipes to the next generation. As an added bonus, you get some one-of-a-kind creations you can use as gifts, display for decorations or simply enjoy eating.
Here are a just few basic rules to remember:
1. Wash hands before you start (and every time someone licks their fingers)
2. Safety first! Don’t leave the kids unattended in the kitchen. Give extra close supervision around hot pans, oven or stove, mixers, food processors and other electric appliances.
3. Adjust your expectations. They may not want to participate from start to finish, but invite them into the kitchen when you have special projects just for the kids.
4. Kids can help clean as you go. Then you won’t have a big mess at the end.
5. Follow your instincts when it comes to kids helping in the kitchen. You know what your child can accomplish.
Here are some general guidelines to get you started:
2 - 3 years old
Close cabinet doors
Measure dry ingredients (with help)
Pour chocolate chips into bowl
Push buttons on microwave
Decorate with sprinkles
4 to 6 years old
Remove wrapper from a stick of butter
Measure liquid ingredients and drop them into a bowl
Mix ingredients in a bowl
Roll out the dough
Decorate with sprinkles or candies
6 to 12 years old
Use mixer or blender (with supervision)
Cut cookie dough using cookie cutters
Frost cakes or cookies
Decorate with frosting tube
Try any of these great holiday cookie recipes:
Share Your Thoughts
Did you find this article helpful? Has it inspired you? What else would you like to know?