Heart-Warming Homemade Soup: Make It Your Own Recipe
A soup can be tailored to suit your family’s taste… whether beef barley, chicken with rice or vegetarian bean soup. Homemade soup slowly cooking on the stove is a warm, comforting food your family will love and will ask you to make over and over again.
A soup can be tailored to suit your family’s taste… whether beef barley, chicken with rice or vegetarian bean soup. Homemade soup slowly cooking on the stove is a warm, comforting food your family will love and will ask you to make over and over again. Just add the ingredients they love when creating your soup. It is a success whether achieved the first time or developed after several meals.
To customize your homemade soup:
1. Select your choice of ingredients from the chart below. The more ingredients you select the thicker the soup will be. Keep in mind your family’s likes and dislikes and surprise them with your new recipe.
|Meats, uncooked||Ground beef
Boneless chicken or turkey pieces
Chopped bell pepper
Sweet potato chunks
|Dried Herbs||Basil leaves
Crushed red pepper Flakes
|Beans, Rice or Pasta (all cooked)||Black beans
Crushed corn chips
2. Follow this basic recipe for ingredients and instructions to make your homemade soup.
2 tablespoons LAND O LAKES® Butter
1 pound uncooked meat (see chart above)
3 cups chopped vegetables (see chart above)
3 (14-ounce) cans chicken or beef broth
1 tablespoon chopped dried herbs (see chart above)
3 cups cooked beans, rice or pasta (see chart above)
Toppings as desired
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in 4-quart saucepan until sizzling; add meat. Cook over medium–high heat until meat is browned and cooked through. If necessary, drain off fat. Remove meat from pan; set aside.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in same saucepan; add vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender (3 to 5 minutes). Add cooked meat, broth and dried herbs.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover. Cook 15 minutes. Stir in cooked beans, rice or pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls; sprinkle with toppings, if desired.
- Makes 4-6 servings.
You may find some ingredients complement each other, such as chicken, noodles and vegetables. But, other times the ingredients you select may not complement each other as well. If that happens, make changes so the next time you make a pot of heart-warming, homemade soup your family will come asking for more and the recipe becomes a treasured family favorite.
Share Your Thoughts
Did you find this article helpful? Has it inspired you? What else would you like to know?