Tips on how to work with dipping chocolate:
• Use shortening instead of butter, margarine or oil.
• Do not dip chocolate on humid days.
• Avoid all types of moisture when melting chocolate. Steam or drops of moisture can cause mixture to "seize" or become very firm, crumbly and grainy. If this occurs, it can be corrected by stirring in 1 teaspoon shortening for each 2 ounces of melted chocolate.
• Chocolate can also be melted over low heat, in a double boiler or on Medium (50% power) in microwave. If chocolate is melted at too high a temperature it will become crumbly and grainy. This can be corrected as directed above.
• Chop chocolate into small pieces for smooth and even melting.
• Store chocolate tightly wrapped, in a cool dry place. Do not refrigerate.