Chocolate for Dipping
This recipe provides directions and tips for dipping candies.
What is this button?
You now are able to shop & buy these ingredients online! After you select your market, you decide if you want to have your items delivered or picked up today!
1 1/2 cups mini real semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons shortening
How to make
Line baking sheet with waxed paper; set aside.
Remove candy to be dipped from refrigerator about 10 minutes before dipping. Dipping cold centers can result in cracked coating or bloom (white crystals) on coating.
Place chocolate chips and shortening into 2-cup glass measuring cup. Place measuring cup into bowl which contains very warm (100°F to 110°F) water reaching halfway up measuring cup. (Don't let even one drop of water mix with chocolate.) Stir mixture constantly with rubber spatula 18-22 minutes or until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. (Do not rush melting process.) Replace water with more very warm water, if necessary. Remove measuring cup from bowl; continue stirring 2-3 minutes or until chocolate is cooled slightly.
Set one candy center onto tines of fondue fork or 2 pronged fork. Completely dip center into melted chocolate. Gently tap fork against side of measuring cup to remove excess melted chocolate. Invert candy onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining centers. Place measuring cup into bowl of very warm water, if melted chocolate becomes too thick for dipping; stir until desired consistency.
Tips on how to work with dipping chocolate:
• Use shortening instead of butter, margarine or oil.
• Do not dip chocolate on humid days.
• Avoid all types of moisture when melting chocolate. Steam or drops of moisture can cause mixture to "seize" or become very firm, crumbly and grainy. If this occurs, it can be corrected by stirring in 1 teaspoon shortening for each 2 ounces of melted chocolate.
• Chocolate can also be melted over low heat, in a double boiler or on Medium (50% power) in microwave. If chocolate is melted at too high a temperature it will become crumbly and grainy. This can be corrected as directed above.
• Chop chocolate into small pieces for smooth and even melting.
• Store chocolate tightly wrapped, in a cool dry place. Do not refrigerate.
And don't forget to tag us @landolakesktchn.