May 17th is World Baking Day, something we want everyone to celebrate. Here are eleven recipes inspired from cuisines around the world - make one or all eleven!
1. United States – Caramel Apple Pie. Because there aren’t many things more American than a slice of apple pie a la mode.
2. Turkey – Baklava. Flaky phyllo dough, crunchy walnuts, sweet honey – yes, please.
3. England – Sticky Toffee Dessert Cakes, a.k.a Sticky Toffee Pudding. A moist sponge cake and a sweet caramel sauce. Not really a pudding at all!
4. Australia / New Zealand – Cranberry Pavlova. A crisp outside, with a soft, airy inside, this baked meringue dessert was named after the Russian ballerina Anna Pavlova. Replace the cranberry curd with lemon for a summer dessert.
5. Spain - Star Studded Flan. Baked custard coated in caramel, think upside down crème brulee.
6. Mexico – Tres Leches Cake with Berries. Three milks and fluffy sweetened whipped cream for the moistest cake you’ll ever eat.
7. Italy – Almond Anise Biscotti. Dip in a cup of coffee and perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack.
8. England – Banoffee Pie. No, this isn’t a made up word! Bananas and toffee, need we say more? Yes? How about salted dark chocolate?
9. France – Gingered Crème Brulee – a.k.a. “burnt cream”. Also known as sweet, creamy custard and a crunchy sugar topping. Also known as one of the best combinations in the dessert world, in my humble opinion.
10. Germany – Individual Apple Strudel. Like an apple pie…but just for you!
11. Belgium – Belgian-Style Waffles. Wait. Waffles? For dessert? Yes. Top with whipped cream (or ice cream), fresh fruit (or sprinkles), and chocolate sauce (or homemade hot fudge).
Which recipe will you try?